Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Installer Injured In Pole Collaspe 7/15/2010

To the best of my knowledge there are only 3 types of pole caution tags, an arrow pointing up is climb with extreme caution, an arrow pointing up with a X on the line is do not climb, use bucket truck only to work on pole and the third is a arrow pointing up with a X and a circle around it means do not work on pole until replaced.  But that's just something everyone should already know.

The reason for the accident reports being posted is to get a better understanding of how the accident happened and how it can be prevented in the future.  Most of these guys, like yourself, learn from past history and on the job training, not in a classroom.  Accident reports are a topic to be discussed in safety meetings on jobsites and on the Bar so people can get a better understanding on what went down and how to prevent it from happening again.  Maybe after reading a report on here people will think twice about doing the exact same thing that caused the accident in the first place. 

I don't get any personal benefit out of posting these reports other than trying to help save lives and limbs in this industry where accidents have been on the rise for many years.  It sickens me to see some of these idiots out here working on the lines and I'm not just talking about cones and signs and it's not just contractors doing it.  It is safety everywhere, Comcast trucks painted dark colors that blend in with trees, techs not having flaggers on major roads, people not tying ladders off, working on steep hills out of the BT, working out of trucks that should be impounded, just stupid, stupid shit. It's not like we drive to an office for 8 hours, then drive home.  We're out there 8-12hrs a day on the highway or in the easements, not pussy footing it around or standing by some jerked off water cooler, we can get killed at ANY TIME a hell of a lot easier than my GF who teaches 3rd grade.  It's basic rules that save lives and they need to be followed but accidents are called accidents because they just happen.  Sometimes they are preventable, like a crack in the boom or a broken trailer, sometimes they are not, like a car losing control or a tree falling down.  My point is MOST accidents are preventable. 

Everyone knows Verizon's safety program is a joke and people get killed there all the time but they are almost always safer than CATV.  Try working for a power company for a month and see how detailed their safety plan is.  It's in place to prevent accidents and it's a way of life for every man because people get killed or seriously f'd up there a lot.  A refinery or military base is 10x more strict, you don't even walk through a gate without having a OSHA 30hr card, a quick card, PT and BC.  That's where the big money is because most of these guys can't cut it.
This is CABL.com posting #310476. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbsVQ
Posted in reply to: Re: Installer Injured In Pole Collaspe 7/15/2010 by Splicer Life 4me
There is 1 reply to this message