Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Worker Killed In Aerial Truck Fire

This actually happened to me before, not the exhaust pipe way but I was out lashing back 20 spans in a easement by myself in a F450 splicer truck.  I lost boom power, looked down and saw smoke coming from the under the hood.  I called my supervisor and told him I was stuck about 17-20' of the ground and needed help.  He was like 2 hours out, way at the other end of the system so my only option was to slide down the boom and shut the truck down myself.  I wrapped the throw rope around the boom and slid down, it was raining a little and the boom was real slick so wanted to be extra careful but got down just in time.  The PTO was a belt drive, the belt had broke, the engine overheated pretty bad and burned up some wires.   I sprayed the shit outta it with an ABC can and barely put it out.  Huge mess in the customers driveway and my supervisor had a heart attack but another minute or two and the entire truck would've been fully involved. 

So needless to stay I'll stick with my T40 or climb that shit but I'll never work that far out in the easements alone again. 
This is CABL.com posting #309098. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbszC
Posted in reply to: Worker Killed In Aerial Truck Fire by captain256
There are 0 replies to this message