Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: The Importance Of Strand Brakes

Th aftermath of a preventable death,

Phoenixville, PA

he was a great guy worked with him same job ,he was my friend and talked to him recently,this should never of happened he was always extra safe. verizon has been slack on safety teaching, these past few years, especially in guys working outside,i've taught safety at verizon especially after a fatality, then it stops. they need to do more. my prayers are with his family...
albert pedricktown nj

My condolences to the family of Thomas Hetrick as a verizon employee both in de and now nj doing this job is very unsafe and very dangerous no matter how mane percautions we take we can not avoid this from happening to us i wish people would slow down and think of the people behind the cones and and flashing yellow lights that that person is the same as you and has a family to go hohe to and think would you ant to be killed and never see your family again i hope the driver of the car gets punished to the full extent for what the did and pay that family to raise there kids and wife for the rest of there life and i hope verizon does its best to help the family out to. thanks and god bless and remember we are people to and have familys to just like you
Tom Hetrick Friend
|
May 22, 2008

Tom was a great man and my friend. He supervised his team for 35 years and each day he focused on working safely. This was a freak accident and no one really knows at this point who was at fault. My prayers are with his natural and his Verizon families.
UNION

Malvern, PA

May 22, 2008

god bless his family
verizon emp

Philadelphia, PA

May 22, 2008

Tom was a great guy. I was lucky enough to be able to work with him over the past 5 years, and he will really be missed. My heart goes out to his family. Verizon lost a great guy last night.

Yet again, my prayers are with his family, and with his crew that was with him last night.
jadaka

Wallingford, PA

May 22, 2008

tom will be more than missed by all of us in his crew. we are a tight unit of 14 under his supervision. nobody cared about safety more than him. he was a hands on boss and took great care of all of us. i pray for not only his wife,children,family and neighbors, but for the crew out there last night. Such a tragic accident. This is an event in my life i will never forget. PLEASE PEOPLE... slow down and PAY ATTENTION in work zones.
PENNDOT Employee

Philadelphia, PA

May 22, 2008

As an inspector in Montgomery County, this tragedy hits close to home. Working on the highway is extremely dangerous, I know, cause i'm there everyday. Please slow down in construction areas, and inform friends and family to do the same. My prayers go out to his family.
The Hoult family

Chambersburg, PA

May 22, 2008

We have known the family for many yrs. and our oldest son is best friends with matt their son.When the news came i was in shock but i just kept saying god be with all the family it will be a trying time but with good friends and family you will heal and move forward Tom would want you to do that but for know we will remember the good father,husband and friend he has been to so many people and our church St. Parick's in norristown will be there for them also. Our prayers are with all of you GOD BLESS
Nicole Undercuffler

Chambersburg, PA

May 22, 2008

My deepest condolences go out to the Hetrick Family. I had the privilege to go to High School with both his children and I know God will help them through this rough time. It is very difficult losing a parent at such a young age. Coincidently my mom is a Verizon employee and works in the building Tom was stationed at. I was shocked when I got the phone call this morning regarding the accident. I can't fathom why the road would even been open with such construction going on, Verizon and Penn Dot have a lot of explaining to do regarding protocol and safety regarding construction workers and the environments in which they work. I pray the family is taken care of financial during this difficult time....Again, Matt and Alyssa my prayers are with you and your family.
Praying

Norristown, PA

May 23, 2008

Sympathies and prayers to the family...hoping you will have the strength for all that follows...
Verizon Employee

Philadelphia, PA

May 23, 2008

god bless his family and the malvern garage will not be the same for a long time
Verizon employee

Greenbelt, MD

May 23, 2008

Verizon Employee wrote:
god bless his family and the malvern garage will not be the same for a long time

You are right, Malvern will never be the same again. I have worked with Tom over the years and he will be missed. My prayers are with his family. Prayers are also with his co-workers, especially the techs who were with him that night.
VZ Employee in Malvern

Newtown Square, PA

May 23, 2008

Why did it take this tragic loss to have the job done right afterwards? So the bosses at Verizon could stay under their budget! Tom Hetrick was one of the best bosses and he will be sorely missed. My prayers are with his family and my co-workers at this sad time.
Retired vz mgr

Souderton, PA

May 23, 2008

Ever since the vz/GTE merger the focus is on MONEY. Safety and service have been systematically thrown out. VZ talks safety but when it comes to $$$ vs. safety the $$$ wins all the time with vz. Shame Shame on VZ!!!
big mama

Broomall, PA

May 25, 2008

Ever since the Verizon GTE merger the company has gone downhill. Higher management in the GTE organization only care about the bottom line - the h--- with the employees safety and well being. Now that a valued employee lost his life in an effort to SAVE some money in doing the proper job, will higher GTE managers wake up. YOU TOOK A GREAT COMPANY AND MADE IT A HORRIBLE PLACE TO WORK!!!!!
Brian C

Coatesville, PA

May 25, 2008

I had the pleasure of working with Tom Hetrick for 11 years. A better man could not be found. No one messed with me more - and I loved every minute of it. He will be missed
A friend in PA

Philadelphia, PA

May 25, 2008

There are kids without a father, a wife without her husband, a family without their brother, neighbors without their good neighbor and men without their leader. All because someone went through a construction zone without paying attention and because a company is all about money instead of safety. The good is all this? Heaven has a new angel - God Bless you Tommy.
kcr

Douglassville, PA

May 25, 2008

Tom Hetrick will be missed. A tragic accident which should have been prevented. Tom knew the job was unsafe.Tom knew it should have been done a safer way.Tom wanted innerduct run across the highways and new cables placed. Tom knew it was dangerous the way he was forced to do the job just to save money. thats why as a supervisor he was on the job to protect his guys and not in bed like most supervisors. Shame on Verizon.
Jim

Hatboro, PA

May 25, 2008

After reading these posts, I couldn't be more proud of this man. After 35 years on the job, you could not find a more knowledgable person for it. After hearing what most of you have to say, it sounds like Tom was a rare supervisor, that could get the job done and earn the respect of his men. I pray that the truth be told in this tragic incident.
This is CABL.com posting #308462. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbspm
Posted in reply to: The Importance Of Strand Brakes by captain256
There are 0 replies to this message