Create your free account now! Sign up

We are shooting ourselves in foot

So everyone knows that Comcast went to this "BIG 3" contractor model where they will maximize the work to less contractors in hope's of feeding them enough so they can survive during the slow times and then run them ragged when the work picks up.  They have spent the last three years building up their inhouse install staff.  The problem is when things slow down they keep their in-house fully routed except certain day's of the week.  The problem is with the in-house install staff, their isn't enough work for contractors to keep a core group together in slow times.  To then expect contractors to ramp up for a 6 month push doesn't make sense.  

Comcast makes this point for me in Cape Cod.  They are now allowing sub-contractors in the Cape because they have starved the contractors to the point where they can't keep a core group.  They have pushed the employee only contractors with meters, late model white vehicles, symbol units.  Take this a step further where in MA you have to carry health insurance for your employees due to state regulations.  So they go back to a sub-contractor model so that they can cover the work for 6 months, charge back the guy's for everything, force the guy's to carry insurance for 6 months when you know for a fact that you pay most of your insurance policy the first 6 months, and then cut you loose.  What if no one showed up for these "Sub Contractor" positions this summer?  What would Comcast do?  Would they pay more till they filled the positions?  Would they hire more in-house?  Or would they change the balance of work (In-house versus Contractor) so that a company could keep a core group together through the winter and be able to ramp up when spring and summer hit.  

I know there are a lot of guy's looking for work, good paying work.  But if we allow ourselves as a group to fall into these traps where we bail them out then it will never stop.  I still believe there is a need for professional contact installers.  I believe there are good men that take pride in themselves and their work to provide a top level of service for customers.  i also believe they have been the core of our industry for years and the last three years they have been taken advantage of.  If we continue to jump into certain situations to help bail out these company's it will only cause this industry to flounder in a position that doesn't accurately reflect the true importance and need for contractor services int eh cable industry.  

I hope we see a change in philosophy by Comcast and other companies over the next year.  I think we deserve to have great men once again take pride in their work, perform to a high customer service level, and make contracting a proud part of the cable industry.  God Bless everyone trying to make it out there.  You are not alone!!! 
This is CABL.com posting #301806. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbqF0
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: We are shooting ourselves in foot LocoDawg 5/3/2010 9:36:02 PM
Re: We are shooting ourselves in foot Trey9007 5/2/2010 11:55:22 PM