Create your free account now! Sign up

Where did the jobs go? The real anser

Inhouse
Contractors are used to supplement the inhouse crews, and when I say inhouse I mean working for the MSO. In years past cable operators paid for upgrades 330mhz to 350, then 450, 550, 750, 860 adding return blah blah blah. They also paid for maintance and expansions. Well the fact is cable is everywhere, so there is no need for construction. With techonilgys like MPEG4 and now channel bonding there is not much need for more bandwidth. Installs, this has been hit or miss for years, but the sad fact is many and I mean many installers will do the same amount of work you do for $15 an hour. That is 120 a day, now take the figure how much work you do and there is your answer why the bottom has fallen out of the pay. This is not just this industry it goes the same in any new technology. If were were alive 100 years ago we would have this conversation about power, then telephone, and so on. If solar panels were cost effective we would all be installing them for thousands a week, then at the end we would all be asking where all the work went?
This is CABL.com posting #299735. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbp8B
Posted in reply to: Where did the jobs go by timmy2
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Where did the jobs go? The real anser J_r0kk 4/16/2010 2:45:45 AM