Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Cable TV Is Doomed

Funny,
  I was having this very conversation with somebody yesterday evening. We were wondering why any one would pay for tv when there is most any program available on the internet. Not only programs but movies as well. We have only begun to see what the wireless industry can do, and it will not be long before there will be speeds that compete with cable and telcos available with your cell service. And the major selling point is that you will be able to take it with you anywhere you go. Verizon has already tested a 4g service in Seattle, and will begin rolling it out in other markets soon.The the telcos and cable company will still be around, but you will see a drop in customer base as more products become available through wireless service providers.

DWDM has been in use since the 90's. The first part of this year we built a nearly 600mile ring using existing fiber that when fully functional, will be the equivalent to forty four OC192's. This is working on just two fibers, and within each OC192, it has the ability to offer service ranging from a ds3 on up to an OC48. Very little splicing was required on this project, and it was just to cut out d4's and older fc ends on the fdp in the re-gens and co's. This was done to help beef up the  network for numerous contracts already in place for providing fiber to cell sites. 

You can disagree with me that is fine, but I think dsl and cable modems will be a thing of the past, just like landline phone service. It won't be overnight, and the two won't totally disappear, but wireless has some huge potential for growth within the next few years.
This is CABL.com posting #296908. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbpo0
Posted in reply to: Cable TV Is Doomed by FiberSlasher
There are 3 replies to this message
Re: Cable TV Is Doomed lonemonkey 4/24/2010 1:39:10 PM
Re: Cable TV Is Doomed AlwaysOnTop 3/24/2010 9:39:55 PM
Re: Cable TV Is Doomed wizo6812 3/24/2010 8:27:34 PM