Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Is anyone still making good money contracting?

A word of caution.  What happened to auto-glass is what has already happened to CATV.  My neighbor was an auto glass installer for 5 years and had a pretty good perspective on what was going on.  He told me a good tech used to make 50-100k a year, and he quit when his last W2 was less than $35k and they closed his office.  They expected him to drive an hour to pick up material.   I also used to play foosball with a regional manager for a wholesale distributor of auto glass.  He said there's no money left in the biz. 

He wasn't a hack, and that hurt him when it came to production quotas.  His 2-yr new supervisor couldn't understand why his veteran installer was the slowest of his crew compared to the 6 month newbies and flunkies from other companies.  He was howerver, the guy who would get called out to handle the expensive cars, and the jobs that other techs had failed.  The last straw was a call on Thanksgiving by his boss, who expected him to somebody else's mistake NOW or turn in his truck.
This is CABL.com posting #295291. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mboYV
Posted in reply to: Re: Is anyone still making good money contracting? by niesen75
There is 1 reply to this message