Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Everyone needs to stop working for low rates

geez , no love for installers here. oh well , I would love to try the contruction side of it, but can't find anything at the moment , they seem not to like the little installer boys , even if they are willing to learn. But , I don't hate them , just understand where they come from a little.

Installers get alot of bad rap also due to the level of slackers and hackers now doing the gig. And realistically you can train any monkey in a 3 day ride along to slam out catv at a house. Ah well ... I guess you can't fix stupid and as long as guys and gals keep working for such low rates , installers will not get any respect.

Unions.... hmm 2 edged sword , I would be for a union in the catv bizz , but it would have to be way different from what the telcos are stuck with. Mainly to be the union pres or an officer , you would have to work as a linedog or an installer. Honestly i would prefer linedogs running the show , I truly believe they would always look out for their brothers. But to organize the whole industry of workers in catv and keep the "exec" types out of the union leadership would work to bring the prices back up to what they should be . But you would always have to fight on 2 fronts , against the MSO's for fair rates and against the union itself from getting corrupted like the IBEW and CWA. I have no problem with the guys in the union , I feel they suffer lke we do from people above them who never get there hands dirty , yet make the rules for those who do.

Or how about a worker run prime?? Bunch of guys getting together to run it themselves cutting out the middle man and sharing in the profits. Alot of the primes now days have huge overhead , and I think a solid group of guys could underbid a big prime and yet still be able to pay the techs more.
This is CABL.com posting #249518. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbc4E
Posted in reply to: Re: Everyone needs to stop working for low rates by cablchik
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Everyone needs to stop working for low rates cable492 4/6/2009 10:00:21 PM